Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Kissed by a Rose

I have friends in all different stages of relationships and each one of those friends hold a different interpretation as to what their actions may mean to the opposite sex. One way or another though our actions hold some meaning to the recipient and possibly one of the most dramatic actions is kissing.

What exactly is it that influences our meaning to a kiss? Does our age when we receive our first kiss change the value of all the other kisses to come? Or maybe the person whom it is with? Does the actions of others with their kissing have a measurable influence upon our own meaning to the matter?

Considering that I didn't even have a "significant other" all throughout high school brings out the obvious that I didn't have my first kiss till I was a little older than most tend to be. Since that first kiss I have not been in active pursuit of another girl to kiss and thus I haven't become familiar with a large number of lips unlike my friend CBS. CBS started kissing in high school. He worked slowly at first but now that he is in college it has become a common practice for us to try and call him in the middle of "something".

I could not think of another person who holds kissing in such high contrast to myself as CBS does, but what exactly are those differences? What exactly is kissing beyond an action? Fun? An acceptance of commitment? Something to pass the time? The next step after cuddling?

2 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Kate said...

I think it means different things with different people at different times... It's a very subjective thing.

Sometimes, it's awful (my first kiss). Sometimes, it's fun. Sometimes it's about commitment, sometimes it's about being silly (see New Year Eve) Sometimes it's perfect.

You can't just lump those all together. I'm sure I don't reach the extremes of the kissing philosophy of your friend, but I'd be willing to bet that he'd agree that kissing isn't the same for everyone.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger VDOprincess said...

Totally depends on the person. I know I don't take it lightly, nor do I kiss just any old guy. (Or any young guy.)
But holly's right- sometimes it's perfect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home