Monday, March 07, 2005

Navy Blue Philosophy

Nobody really understands the complete science as to why the small blood vessels in our face dilate, no matter where the science begins and the human ends, it still makes an embarrassing situation seem that much more embarrassing. Blushing sucks.

The other night after a group date Hail Marry, Taz, and I went to borrow a movie from Old Roommate (I know, real original name.) We sat and chatted for a little while about this and that when Old Roommate quietly raised his hand and waited to be called on (which I probably never should have done in the first place.) He looked at Hail Marry and I while asking "Have you two hooked up?" Hail Marry quickly turned bright pink, and I slowly followed after. He came to realize that no Determining of The Relationship had occurred (DTR.) Some minor laughing and confusion came along and then the subject was quickly changed as the awkwardness lost it's entertainment value.

Around high school (some sooner, some later,) we all start to get that urge to have somebody to be with, someone to celebrate with after a victory or to comfort after a defeat. From the time that it begins till the time it is finally achieved we are thinking about it in one way or another (generally speaking of coarse.)

Problems arise from the fact that we learn from our experience. If we are currently looking for that someone to just BE with then it means that past attempts have failed. This failure hurts, don't deny it. So we move a little more cautious the next attempt and maybe we get a little further, or maybe we fall even harder. After a couple years of crashing and burning people come to a cross roads. A: They stop putting REAL effort into the pursuit and just "go with the flow." or B: They come to realize that nothing will kill them and they become a little crazy.

I like to think that I haven't reached that cross road yet, and instead have taken quite nicely to falling on my face time and time again. However, I am getting more and more cautious as I go along, and yet I'm also learning from my free falls with out a parachute. If you go out expecting to hit the ground there's no surprise and you become willing to risk a little more. This works out great-until you see something that you actually want to reach for. Then the fall looks a little more painful and you're a little more cautious about when to leap out of the plane and how much force you need to push off with in order to reach the goal. Not getting far enough is safer than just shooting right over the mountain because there's still the chance that the mountain still didn't see you coming and you can go for another attempt. It's true, faith can move a mountain, especially when you're over zealous and the mountain runs away.

Experience is a necessary evil that can teach us great things if we're actually willing to learn and apply it.

2 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger B said...

Ah, free falling!! I have learned that the feeling of the fall is worth the harsh landings that I have always found at the end. The ride is different every time (not that I have done it that often) and that is where the learning comes in to meet us. It also enables us to learn to love, forgive, and communicate with those that are falling along side us.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger MDJ said...

For a long, long time, I've subscribed to the idea that I'm better off not making any overt moves until I'm fairly sure she'll respond the way I'm hoping for. Now, my philosophy is gradually morphing into something quite the opposite. Now, if you tell me it's better to wait until you know (in order to avoid the fall), I'll tell you "that's bupkis!" What I'm learning is that CARPE DIEM might possibly be the wisest counsel ever given in the history of the universe...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home